Background

Monday, May 11, 2009

HELP!!!

To all you have have trodden this road or who know their baby stuff...what baby items should I register for/purchase that I won't be able to live without.  Just looking is REALLY overwhelming.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Boppy's are nice, although it took me a while to get used to it. But now I love them. Or something of the sort. The other thing you could registrar for, but even if no one buys it you should buy it, is a breast pump (if you are planning on nursing). It will save your life, and make it SO much easier (even if you don't plan to use the bottles often, milk keeps for up to 6 months). It really can be crazy and overwhelming though. Good luck! Those are my only must have items, lol. :)

Liz said...

Boppys are a necessity...especially if you are breastfeeding. I used mine day and night!

Also, I thought baby wet wipe warmers were ridiculous until I brought home a new baby who didn't want a cold wet wipe anywhere near him.

Diaper rash cream, millions of burp clothes, blankets, a few extra of crib sheets, and Febreeze. Babies tend to leak fluid all the time. It was amazing how many times I ran out of clean crib sheets!

I also splurged on a really nice bouncer because when I showered, cooked, did laundry, or anything else, the baby was right there and could see me. GOOD LUCK!!

Cathy said...

A swing! Nothing put my babies to sleep better.

Erika said...

Bekah's lifesavers were the book Happiest Baby on the Block, a swaddle, and a womb bear.

You can borrow our swing, bassinet, bumbo chair, etc until you know if he likes them - rather than having to pay for it only to find out he doesn't like that (although I hope he loves a swing because that was a lifesaver for Bekah too).

I also loved our Angelcare Sleep Monitor. It has the sensor that goes under the mattress. It sets off an alarm if there's no motion detected for 20 seconds straight. I slept better because of this.

If you're going to bottle feed - don't buy a ton of one type of bottle - we have a variety you can try until you know what his preferences are.

Bekah also loves to have some music to fall asleep - so one of the sound machines that can go on the crib rail works great, especially if they have a little nightlight that you can use if you just need a little light to help find their binky.

There's lots of stuff out there - but you'll have everything you need, and can always go to Walmart in a rush if there's something he's needing.

Sorry this is so long!

d.r. gib said...

I could make a list of 100 items that I can't live with out!
I second the Boppy. I did not breastfeed, but my kids slept in theirs until they were sick months old. It kept them snuggled and propped up, we have sinus issues! Then they used them to help learn to to sit up.Plus my sister makes the best covers.(ours is U of U of course) Check out her blog here http://www.craftsbycorrine.blogspot.com/

for Boppy covers, nursing covers, shopping cart covers,hooded towells, and tons more baby items that she makes.

Also, go to Kid to Kid, after all your showers of course, to look for swings, cribs, excer-saucers, etc.
You will need a little tub too.

d.r. gib said...

stock up on wipes along with diapers too!

Jenny said...

Before you buy/register for anything TALK TO ME! I have a couple of things (like a swing and a bouncy chair) for you to use. I keep meaning to show you/talk to you about it, but I haven't yet. Sorry!!!

Lisa Marie said...

GRIPE WATER. It is a must have if your baby is coliky or has digestion/gas problems. It is way better than the mylacon drops. Give it to him about 15 mins before he eats and it will cut down on the bubbles in his stomache and aid digestion. I found it at walgreens.
AGREAT rocking chair. You will be living in it the first 2 months. I got mine at USABaby and it is wonderful!!!
I love my kiddopotomus swaddle blankets, they make swaddling super easy.
Stock up on diapers, you always run out at the most inconvient times.
Lastly, I had somebody give me a bunch of frozen dinners. They saved my life the first 2 months. It was so nice not to worry what was for dinner. I know thats not a typical register thing but it was super nice.

Jill said...

Ah, I remember being overwhelmed like that and I did a post just like you did.

There are a few things I can't live without. I second the boppy and also the baby monitor that Erika mentioned. We bought that same one and it helps me sleep without worrying if she's breathing or not. Sydni HATES cold wipes, so the diaper warmer was a life saver for us! Burp clothes...a million of those if he spits up like Sydni does. I really could go on and on. Those are the ones that I really can't live without though.

Nicole S said...

Amanda! So happy to have found your cute blog (through Wendy's). The only thing I can think of is a camera-so fun to look back at the zillion pictures we took at each step/stage of Brenden's life. (Then after a year, turn your blog into a book and you'll have a baby scrapbook combined with journal, travel log and photo album all combined into one so that when you don't get around to 'perfecting' the baby book, you don't feel so bad-it's all on the blog:) which is easier for me since it's digital). Oh, and the book "Happy baby, Healthy sleep habits" and "Happiest baby on the block" -they both are amazing at figuring out how to get baby to 'self soothe' at night so they sleep longer and more quickly through the night so momma gets some good rest. Alright, enough of this novel to you. Love your blog and miss our weekly visits to Hypnobirthing:) Nicole Sorensen