Background

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Mother's Day

I have this nasty, yucky, gross feeling in my tummy as Mother's day gets closer.  I get this feeling every year, and have for about the last 4 years.  Not because I don't love to celebrate mothers and all they do for the world.  I love my mom and can't imagine my life without her.  I love watching all my friends who are mothers and are excellent examples.  I just don't personally want to be involved. 

This is dedicated to the many others of you who feel this same pain each year.

I dislike mother's day due to these facts:

1.  Church-I absolutely hate having to stand up, "All women 18 and older stand up and be recognized!" I realize people are trying to be nice but it is a dagger in the heart to those who are mourning not being a mother.  

2.  All the comments about how great motherhood is...those of us who don't know really do know how wonderful it would be.  We dream of it daily, usually more than ten times!  

3.  People who are really trying to be supportive but say things like: "It will happen", "In God's time", "At least you got to sleep in" and many more.  

4. Getting mother's day gifts when I am not a mother.  

Now, those things being said I am trying to find a way to be more sensitive to this "holiday" as I will soon find myself among the ranks of mother.  I still have this aching in my belly that tells me to skip church and stay in my jammies and enjoy the day.  Although I have to make a decision, I still have a few days...thankfully!

3 comments:

Erika said...

I know just what you mean....

I think the best thing you can do is be sensitive about what you're saying and to whom - you never know who's desiring it, but hasn't been blessed with it yet.

d.r. gib said...

I understand completely! My miscarriage happened just before mother's day and I could not help feeling sad watching all the "mothers" I think it should be "Woman's Day" and we should celebrate being a woman.

Come to church though, in case they give us chocolate or cookies again!

JESSICA N COREY said...

UMMMMM YEAH I CAN RELATE!! This year especially I just dont care, about anything. LOL well at least next year for you will be brighter. OH and what about the comment "YOUR YOUNG, you have your whole life to have kids!!" that ones my favorite.