Anyway, this isn't about all that mess. I wanted to fill you in on an amazing article in the Ensign this month. I may be a little bit slow as it is the June issue but as I was reading last night I felt a happy place in my heart. The article dicusses being sensitive to others. It starts off with a story about a woman who recieved an annonymous letter with parenting tips and continued with other "issues", each of which we face, most of the time without anyone else even knowing and the hurtful things people say, most of the time without even knowing. The whole article made me think about the sensitivities we need to have to situations that we know nothing about. We are only experts in our own situations. Please be kind to others. You never know when one comment you make can end in tears for the person recieving it. Of course the tears are never seen by anyone, but cause deep heartache and pain.
Being childless and 28 leaves Phil and I open for many of these comments, "How old are your children", "Do you have kids", "Who do you use for a babysitter", "You still have time", and many more. As these people don't get our situation we don't "get" others. Remember, we are here to love and support as examples of our Heavenly Father.
5 comments:
Amanda - you are so sweet. I am still waiting for my Ensign subscribtion to kick in at our new place, so I haven't read the article. Thanks for sharing.
Also, I tried to e-mail you at your school address, but it came back. Please e-mail or call me soon.
Hear, hear, Amanda! I whole-heartedly agree with everything you said. We have a lot of power with the words we say. We should choose them wisely.
I also think that in addition to being sensitive to others' feelings and situations, we also need to try hard to not be offended - especially where no offense was intended. It's hard, but I try to remember that sometimes people just say dumb things without thinking.
I'm really hopeful and excited for you and Phil! Good luck with everything!
Amanda, I'm so glad that you are part of our family. You have the sweetest spirit. I admire you and Phil. I can't imagine how hard it is for you, especially with the comments. You are both in my thoughts and prayers!
Amanda, I am Jill Stevenson's friend and I have been through what you are going through. Jill is a great great friend and I love her to death. Anyway, I hope you don't mind i found your blog but i went to jill's and I hit a button on my computer and started reading your blog. So when I read what you were going through I had to comment I know how hard it is. We went through RCC and loved every mintue of it. They are great people to work with. We also waited 3 tough years. Stay with it and have faith. It is very emotional and hard. We have 2 beautiful children (twin's) from RCC and look forward already to go back and have another set of twin's. We only got 4 eggs and used 2 already. Good luck and if you need to ask question i am on your side. Lacy
Hey you. I also read that article and loved what it had to say. You are so amazing and have such a wonderful attitude. I hope I have never said something that has been insensitive even though I'm sure I have knowing me. Just remember if someone asks you when you are going to have kids, tell them you're waiting until you buy a boat and that usually shuts them up. It worked for us anyway. We love ya!
Post a Comment